Since the purchase of The Plaza by Michael & John, the theatre has seen several drastic transformations including new seats, curtains, carpeting, furniture, lighting, screens, sound technology and the costly DCP conversion. With all the improvements, attendance was up and the PTF was revitalized with a rebuilt board of directors in order for the community to have a formal role in supporting, restoring, and sharing the theatre. It would be able to seek out grants and funding (such as holding the theatre’s first year-round liquor license) in order to take on projects that would restore the building’s historical features such as the marquee, projects that would improve the usability and accessibility of the theatre as well be able to host programming that benefits the community.
The future of the Plaza has grown even more rock-solid with the recent sale of the theatre to Christopher Escobar - Executive Director of the Atlanta Film Society and PTF Board Member.
In Michael's own words: Christopher is “a tireless advocate” of the Plaza through his work with the Atlanta Film Society. “It’s time to pass the torch so that Christopher can take the theatre to the next level...In 1939, the Plaza projected its first film and in 2017 the picture looks brighter than ever. And remember: movies were made to be seen in theaters.”
Today, the Plaza Theatre Foundation is administered by the Atlanta Film Society for the PTF’s Board of Directors on behalf of the community. This partnership between the Plaza, PTF and ATLFS allows all three entities to work together and make the Plaza’s future a brighter and more sustainable one.